Monday, December 30, 2013

And She's Here!

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.  

James 1:17


Our newest addition is finally here!  Whew!  As I've said before, pregnancy + Marsha = one big bag of problems.  Alas, when the carrying is over and the baby is here, all pretty much goes back to normal, which I am most grateful for!  It seems to take about 4 weeks of newborn life to get us into the swing of things - to a degree.  That is, we are functioning without tears, and the lack of sleep is no longer causing us to do strange things. 

I had her natural (I had an epi on my other two).  Why you say?  Our new insurance did not cover maternity at all and I didn't want to pay for it.  When I researched the cost of an epi, it blew my mind and would have really punched us a big one in the pocket book.  I also had a slight curiosity about what it was like to have a baby without meds.  Call me crazy.  Those two things combined made my decision.  I thank the very good Lord, He brought me through it!  I must say it was extremely fast and I barely made it to the hospital.  I was praying good and loud towards the end and no one could have been confused as to whether I was a Christian or not at that point.  So now what?  Preparing for the next school year and getting my house back in order.




Baby here.  Need more space.

I posted earlier about wanting an eat in kitchen.  Well, that hasn't happened.  As I said.  I was dreaming.  BUT we did end up selling our humongadocious dining table and chairs so we could 'make' a smaller one that is more suitable for our home.  I mean, the table wasn't too big for the space that it was in, I just wanted to use that space for something more productive for our family.  I wanted more living space.  Sooooooooo.  We ended up borrowing a smaller table from my mother in law in order to move our dining space 'against' the island.  It's working.  We are currently using stools and a junior chair for chairs, but I'm happy knowing that my plan for more space is panning out.  Sorta.  It's still in the works. 

NOW.  Hubby and I were discussing where on earth (or in our home to be exact) would we put our new baby.  So far, the trend has been to keep the baby in our room for a year and then move her out.  Well, we are at the half mark and we have yet to find somewhere to put her.  One of our bedrooms is the school room and the other two girls share a bedroom (packed in there tightly already).  I pitched him an idea.  Why not reduce our master bedroom and bath to 'create' another room.  It wouldn't be adding square footage, just walls a few doors and 'some other things'.  If he did most of the work himself, then we could save on labor.

Here's the master as it is now.  I think my hubby used some sort of panning photo setting to get the whole room in the photo.  You can see my side of the closet going towards our bathroom.


Here's the master bath as it is now (or was).  And Inky being a ham.  Again with the panning photo setting so the bathroom looks wierdly bent.



History on our Master Room and Bath:

I normally call it our Master Suite.  I have to snicker at myself because it sounds, well, kinda weird to say it.  It's not really a suite.  We live in a subdivision of smaller homes.  We tried to make the most of our space by having an open concept house (the main areas are all open to each other).  However, my husband wanted a 'wing' of the house to be dedicated to the Master bed/bath (we had 'getting ready to be hitched - no kids' syndrome at that time).  He and I had seen waaaaaaay to many homearoma homes.  Only, the problem is that our house is small to begin with.  So when we built our home, we ended up squeezing the life out of the other rooms in the house to have a larger than necessary master bedroom and bath that we seldom use, well, because its not a 'living' space.  We spend most of our time in the living room with our kids, which I'd say most people do.  So why not chop out the excess and squeeze in another small room?  Hey, that's my question too! 

The plan has come to fruition and we have torn out our master bath.  We sold the large jetted tub Yay! (hardly ever used it.  We had to make sure we weren't running other appliances to have enough hot water to fill it).  The closets have been demo'd.  Yes, we will be downsizing those too.  That is my one regret in the whole thing.  We will still, though, have two separate closets in the end.  Here is the area demo'd.  I'll be glad to have this finished and our bed moved back into our bedroom where we belong instead of in our old dining space.


When we divided the space to make room for the extra room, we lost the window to our bathroom.  So hubby decided to add one up high in the newly vaulted area.  The day that we absolutely needed a window, my hubby prayerfully went to the peddlers mall of all places and found this window for $10.  What a blessing!  


This is a view into our Master Bathroom.  It will be very narrow, but still workable.  The window on the vaulted ceiling is unseen in this photo, but is to the upper right.


This is a view from the new bedroom/classroom/office space.  We are looking toward the closet door.  The pocket door going into the Master Bath is to the left.  This room is vaulted as well.  The door exiting the room into the living area will be to the right.


My reasons for having a door going from this room into the main living area (used to be the dining area) and also having a door leading into our Master Bath area make sense for us.  We are hoping this space will work several different ways for us, in the different seasons of our life and also, if we move, the room can be very versatile for the market.  First, we plan to use this room as a nursery.  The connected bathroom will make it easier for bathing the baby and also for washing hands after diapering and so on.  Also, we can keep a close eye on the baby.  Later when the little one gets a little older, we can move her to the other room and turn this space into a classroom.  Again the bathroom attached will make it easier on me with schooling and potty/potty training time.  Sharing the bathroom won't be an issue because while we school during the day (ie: use the potty during the day), we (my husband and I) will mostly need to use this bathroom early in the morning and at night.  Lastly, as the children get older we can turn this space once again into the Master suite with an attached office.

I'll post more photos when we get closer to finished!


No comments:

Post a Comment